Want to impress? How about the worlds simplest homemade pudding recipe.
Any of our finely ground sugars makes a fabulously tasty and smooth homemade pudding. We have tried Dark Cocoa, Chipotle Chocolate, Cinnamon Chocolate, Lavender, Cinnamon, Cinnamon Vanilla and Smoked Brown Sugar in this recipe. ALL. WERE. DELICIOUS.
This recipe makes a great pudding/pie filling. If you fold in whipped cream, you can have a fluffy flavored treat as well.
This is a super simple recipe for a rich, delicious homemade pudding.
- 1 cup Signature Finely Ground Sugar of your choice
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk (whole milk if you have it)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
For Lavender, Star Anise, Coconut, Cinnamon or Espresso Pudding add in:
- 8 oz. White chocolate chips The white chocolate chips are optional but we recommend white chocolate chips for pudding made with any of our non-chocolate sugars.
For a smoky butterscotch pudding swap the following for flavored sugar:
- 1 cup Smoked Brown Sugar For butterscotch pudding, replace flavored sugar with Signature Smoked Brown Sugar and do NOT use any white chocolate chips.
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt together in medium saucepan.
- Add milk and egg yolks, whisk to combine.
- Bring to boil over medium heat just until boiling, whisking or stirring constantly.
- Continue to cook until thick (like pudding) remove from heat and stir in butter and white chocolate chips until melted - this may take a few minutes.
- Pour into bowl or other container and lay plastic wrap across the surface, being sure it is touching the surface (to prevent a skin from forming).
- Place in refrigerator for several hours, or until chilled.
- Once chilled you can remove the plastic wrap and just use the container's lid to cover.
This super easy pudding recipe blows away any instant mix! Our sugars are perfect for making a rich, smooth sweet treat that is sure to impress. Tip#1 - If you don't want to separate eggs, buy the yolks in the dairy section at your supermarket - it makes this recipe so simple. Tip #2 - Cook time will depend on your stove - be patient and cook it until it boils and becomes as as thick as pudding, stirring constantly as it gets thicker. Tip #3 - Most pudding recipes require that you temper the eggs - this recipe skips that step by including them in the mix from the beginning. Any of our chocolate sugars are perfect: Dark Cocoa Sugar, Cinnamon Chocolate Sugar and even the Chipotle Chocolate gives a super surprising kick! Cinnamon Sugar makes a surprisingly decadent pudding that would be great as a pie filling or with apples. Lavender sugar makes a super sophisticated pudding - do use white chocolate chips with this one - it comes out so delicious! Lastly, for a super fabulous smoked butterscotch pudding - try this recipe with our Smoked Brown Sugar!